Monday, February 05, 2007

Blog post #62: In which the False Prophet participates in his first internet meme...

OK, so Hedda Dabbler, who has been playing hooky from work to help welcome her new son into the world and thus has time for these things, has tagged me for one of those blogger memes that circulate the blogosphere.

So without further ado, here are six weird or unknown things about me:

1) I have a PlayStation 2, but instead of using it to play the latest releases, I use my late-generation console to play games that were cutting edge between 20 and 30 years ago.

2) From Grade 11 until second-year university, I used to have shoulder-length hair. If I can dig up a picture I'll scan and post it.

3) The first Canadian federal election in which I was eligible to vote, in 1997, I voted for the Natural Law Party. It was more a protest vote than anything else: I thought Chrétien was an imbecile and utterly useless (and it's still sad it took most of the country seven more years to realize that), couldn't vote for the Conservatives after Mulroney, and couldn't vote for the NDP. In the next federal election, I actually voted for Stockwell Day and the Canadian Alliance Party. Solely because they promised to increase military spending and because he wasn't Chrétien. I could castigate myself for these and other votes I've cast in the past, but I have yet to enter a voting booth and not feel the need to take a shower afterwards.

4) Although I am a die-hard heavy-metal fan, and over half my CD collection is heavy metal or hard rock bands, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Heather Nova and Bjork all feature prominently in my collection as well.

5) I was almost a music major, but I didn't have the discipline to pass the performance audition (despite easily aceing the ear test and the theory test). Apparently being a half-assed hack on four instruments is not as valued as being really accomplished on one.

6) I used to carry a small notebook with me everywhere and write down little things I'd learned, or my ideas for stories or songs, or pithy quotations I'd heard or read. I filled three of the them, which I called "The Gospel of False Prophecy" and I promised myself that after I'd filled four, I'd buy a PDA to replace them. Then I lost the fourth volume (hereafter known as "The Apocrypha") when it was about 1/3 full and replaced it. I managed to fill the replacement halfway before giving up on the enterprise.

UPDATE: It occurs to me that #4 is the reason I love female-fronted metal and hard rock bands (Evanescence, Nightwish, Lacuna Coil).