Monday, February 26, 2007

'At thirty, the wit...'

At twenty years of age, the will reigns; at thirty the wit; at forty the judgment.
- Benjamin Franklin


Well, yesterday I reached another milestone: my 30th birthday. I celebrated with some friends from work including Librariana and her family, MadJenny, and the Deranged Squirrel (who's posted photos at her blog). The Hedda Dabbler clan have posted a video of me slaughtering a pinata. Here I am confronting my nemesis:



Here on the stage of history, we witness the duel between two great warriors. The False Prophet versus the Pinata.













Thanks to Deranged Squirrel for hosting and JL for helping prepare (and if you got your own blog, you'd get a link too!). And thanks to everyone who came and all well-wishers.



"Do you think," said [Caesar], "I have not just cause to weep, when I consider that Alexander at my age had conquered so many nations, and I have all this time done nothing that is memorable?"
-Plutarch, Parallel Lives of Greece and Rome


Since birthdays are supposed to be a time when you ponder your current life situation, I wonder if I've done as much with myself as I could have by now. I've always felt pulled in multiple directions, and as a result, that I haven't gone anywhere. Right now, I'm in a position of incredible financial comfort and secure employment, but I feel like I'm waiting for things to start. I want to settle but I don't want to settle where I am. It's like I have what I want but not where I want it.

Ah well, I hate Februarys. Most depressing of months. Thankfully, this year Daylight Savings Time starts in March.