Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Copyright woes

Hunh, looks like Rhapsody was forced to change their names due to copyright issues. They are now known as Rhapsody of Fire.

I know there is a Japanese pop duo also called Rhapsody, but I haven't found details of the copyright and trademark conflicts. Now, I remember a few years ago there were several bands on the Canadian indie music scene (many on the Sonic Unyon label) that were forced to change their names, but most of them were bands less than three years old that had yet to establish themselves. Why does a band that's been around for a decade and made quite a name for themselves in the European power-metal scene all of a sudden have intellectual property issues?

I'm reading a good book on IP right now. I might post more on it when I'm finished.